Detectives have apprehended the suspect in the mysterious murder of NHIF staffer.
National News

DCI nab a suspect in connection with the mysterious shooting of NHIF employee.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has reported that the prime suspect in the shooting of NHIF employee Lilian Waithera has been arrested.

The suspect, a Nairobi-based businessman, was located at his home in Kenol, Murang’a, where he had apparently been hiding for the past one week.

Dectectives confirmed that the suspect had been out of town for an extended period of time prior to his arrest.

CS Kuria pledges to take action against oil manufacturers.

The 38-year-old holds a valid firearm license, and was taken into custody on Monday at approximately 2 p.m.

He was subsequently transferred to the DCI headquarters at Kiambu Road, where he is currently being questioned in relation to the murder of Lilian Waithera.

Upon interrogation, the suspect denied firing the fatal shot that killed the NHIF employee on February 13th while she was walking home. He stated that on that day, ,he was in the Central Business District (CBD) and had his rifle with him, but did not discharge it at any point.

The investigation into the matter is ongoing, and the suspect remains in custody.

“He says he never went up to any of the floors at the building and he allegedly went and placed the weapon in his car before leaving,” a senior officer aware of the probe told reporters.

Lilian Waithera was killed in broad daylight on Kaunda Street, located in the busy Central Business District (CBD) of Nairobi. A source from the DCI revealed that evidence suggests that the suspect was near the scene of the shooting at the time of the incident.

CCTV footage reveals moment NHIF employee was shot on city street

His firearm was seized and it is currently undergoing a ballistic examination.

Police reports indicate that the bullet that killed Waithera entered her body through the collarbone before coming to a stop in her lungs. She died within five minutes of being shot.

Detectives are now attempting to establish the motive behind the killing and the identity of those responsible.

Waithera’s family members have stated that she did not seem to be concerned about her safety, and she did not mention any threats made against her on that day or prior.

NHIF, where Waithera had worked for over 15 years, has urged the public to refrain from speculating about the case.

Ballistic experts are analyzing the bullet that was retrieved from Waithera’s body as investigation continues.