Manchester United players celebrate scoring against West Ham at Old Trafford.

FA Cup Fifth Round: Manchester United stage late comeback to beat West Ham 3-1

FA Cup fifth round: Erik ten Hag’s side secured progress to the FA Cup quarter-finals in a thrilling comeback win against West Ham, thanks to Alejandro Garnacho’s inspiration. The victory came just three days after their Carabao Cup triumph and Sunday’s 2-0 win against Newcastle, which marked the team’s first silverware since 2017.

Despite their recent successes, the manager’s immediate message to his players was to “get back to work”, and their game against West Ham looked set to be a tough challenge after Said Benrahma scored the first goal, putting David Moyes’ team into a well-deserved lead at Old Trafford.

However, Nayef Aguerd’s own goal in the 77th minute sparked an impressive turnaround for Manchester United, leading to an exciting 3-1 triumph over West Ham United.


Alejandro Garnacho scored a superb goal in the 90th minute, which was followed by Fred’s stoppage-time strike. The victory allowed Ten Hag’s men to progress to the next round of the FA Cup, keeping their hopes of a quadruple alive.

The Red Devils’ performance was shaky, but they were relieved and delighted as they celebrated the win.

Team captains Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes started the night by parading the Carabao Cup, while Casemiro and Mary Earps’ FIFA Best awards were also celebrated.

Sir Alex Ferguson received loud cheers from the crowd as he handed David de gea a trophy for recording a club record of 181 clean sheets in Sunday’s win. The team was cheered off the pitch as they enjoyed a successful night at Old Trafford.

The Red Devils carried their positive energy onto the pitch and started strong. Wout Weghorst delivered a well-cushioned touch to his fellow loanee, Marcel Sabitzer, who unleased a fierce 18-yard strike that was saved by Alphonse Areola diving down low to his right.

Antony had an opportunity to score, but the Hammers’ goalkeeper, who was filling in for the injured Lukasz Fabianski, denied Alejandro Garnacho.

After a shaky start, David Moyes’ men improved and had a great opportunity to take the lead midway through the first half.

Benrahma threaded a ball between Maguire and Victor Lindelof, sending Michail Antonio through on goal. However, David De Gea made a fantastic save, blocking Antonio’s shot with his strong right arm. The ensuing corner resulted in Tomas Soucek coming close to scoring.

Benrahma continued to control the game, setting up Emerson Palmieri to cross the ball over to Antonio. De Gea denied Antonio’s shot after initially giving the ball away.

In the second half, Soucek had a chance to score with a header, but De Gea made another good save. Weghorst then missed a chance at the other end. Both teams continued to trade attacks, looking for an opening goal.

It was the visitors who finally broke the deadlock in the 54th minute. Casemiro, introduced at halftime, claimed that Soucek had rolled the ball out of play for a thro-in. However, United switched off as play continued, and Emerson cut the ball back for Benrahma to curl home a brilliant goal.

The VAR allowed the goal to stand despite United’s appeal for it to be disallowed. West Ham continued to put pressure on United, with Pablo Fornals coming close to scoring and Antonio causing problems for newly-introduced Lisandro Martinez.

Ten Hag’s substitutions boosted his team’s morale, leading to a delayed response from the hosts. Casemiro struck the ball well, but his shot was saved by Areola, and Rashford missed a shot from distance.

The stadium erupted when Casemiro headed in a free-kick from Fernandes iin the 72nd minute, but the celebrations were short-lived as the substitute was ruled offside after a VAR review.

The travelling fans enjoyed the moment, but their night quickly turned sour from the 77th minute onwards.

Once again, it was a Fernandes set-piece that was at the heart of the action. His corner was met by players from both teams, but it was unfortunate for visiting defender Aguerd, who headed the ball into his own goal.

United continued to push for a late winner, with Garnacho appealing for a penalty that was not given and Casemiro seeing a header saved. Fernandes also had a dangerous cross cut out.

Their intensity finally paid off with two late goals that secured their progress. Weghorst’s shot was blocked, and the ball looped up in the air. Garnacho took a touch before calmly curling the ball into the net with his right foot in front of the Stretford End.

Fred added a gloss to the scoreline in the fifth minute of stoppage time. Weghorst pressured Aguerd, who lost possession, allowing Fred to smash the ball into the net.