What Is Organic Traffic?
What Is Organic Traffic?
Organic traffic refers to visits to a website from unpaid search engine results as opposed to paid results.
To increase your website’s organic search traffic, you need to achieve higher rankings in search engine results. This can be accomplished through search engine optimization (SEO).
The other type of search traffic is paid search traffic: visits that come from clicking on pay-per-click (PPC) advertisements on the results page.
Besides search traffic, websites can also attract the following types of traffic:
- Direct traffic: visits that come directly by entering the URL in the browser’s search bar.
- Referral traffic: visits that come through links on other websites.
- Social traffic: traffic that comes from posts on social media sites (organic or paid)
These website traffic categories are typically used in website analytic tools such as Google Analytics.
Benefits of Organic Website Traffic
Some advantages of organic traffic include:
- It’s free
- You can reach people who have never heard of your brand before
- You can bring visitors with a relevant and specific intent to your site.
- You can reach people worldwide
- It can be targeted and scaled with a content/SEO Strategy
- It can build your credibility
- The search engine market is growing.
However, organic traffic also has its downsides:
- Organic traffic growth can be slow compared with paid search traffic
- Not every search ends in a click (zero-click searches)
- Although the traffic is free, there are still investments that must be made to see results, both in terms of SEO and content creation
Organic Traffic vs. Paid Traffic Value
One of the key differences between organic and paid traffic is cost.
Paid search campaigns can be incredibly expensive, with some highly valued keywords costing hundreds of dollars per click. This can quickly add up and result in a high cost for a relatively small number of clicks.
In contrast, organic traffic has the potential to generate a large volume of clicks without incurring direct costs.
You can estimate the total value of any website’s organic traffic in Semrush’s Organic Research tool
Enter the domain and look for “Traffic Cost.”
This number tells us that it would cost roughly $27.9 million to replicate ebay.com’s May 2023 organic traffic by paying for the same number of clicks from those keywords via Google Ads.
How to Increase Organic Traffic
Here are four key SEO areas you have to cover to improve your rankings and get more organic traffic to a website:
- Keyword research: Finding and analyzing search queries that people use in order to target them with your content.
- Content creation and optimization: Developing high-quality, relevant content that is optimized to rank well in search engines.
- Technical SEO: Optimizing the technical aspects of a website to help search engines crawl and index the site.
- Link building: Getting high-quality backlinks to improve a site’s authority and visibility.
When you use SEO to target the search terms your audience uses on Google, you can reach them the moment they’re looking for something specific without paying for every click.
Let us look at three specific steps you can take today to get started on your organic traffic journey:
- Audit your website for technical issues.
- Find keywords to drive your SEO strategy.
- Set up a Google Business Profile (if applicable)
Let us break them down one by one.
Audit Your Website for Technical Issues
Google needs to be able to quickly and easily crawl and index your website’s content.
This comes down to your site’s technical foundation, which you can check in a couple of minutes using Semrush’s Site Audit tool.
Create a free account that will allow you to check up to 100 pages.
Then, open the Site Audit tool. Enter your domain and hit “Start Audit.”
Set up the audit in the “Site Audit Settings” window that pops up. Check out this detailed setup guide if you are not sure about something.
When you are done configuring your audit, click on the “Start Site Audit” button.
After the audit is finished, you’ll get an overview of your site’s health with the “Site Health” metric.
Head to the “Issues” tab to see a complete list of all the issues the tool has detected.
To discover broken images, broken links, duplicate titles, slow-loading pages, and many others issues.
Plus, by clicking the “Why and how to fix it” link next to each issue, you’ll receive tips on how to fix the issue.
Find Keywords to Drive Your SEO Strategy
Keyword research helps you to identify topics to write about and publish on your website to drive more organic traffic.
Then, you can build a keyword list and create optimized content to target those keywords.
A popular and easy way to find the best keywords is to look at your competitors-with a keyword research tool such as Keyword Gap.
First, enter your domain and the domains of your competitors. Click “Compare”
The tool will compare keywords targeted by all the analyzed domains.
Focus on two categories of keywords.
- Missing: all the keywords your competitors rank for, but you don’t
- Weak: all the keywords your competitors rank for higher than you
There is a high chance you’ll discover some great keyword opportunities here. After all, if all your direct competitors target the same keyword, it’s probably relevant to your website, too.
When picking the keywords, consider these three metrics:
- Volume: the search volume of the keyword (that is, how many times per month do people seach for the keyword on average?)
- KD%: keyword difficulty-how hard it is to rank for the keyword on a scale from 0 to 100.
- Intent: the search intent behind the keyword (that is, what kind of content do people expect to see?)
Your goal is to find the right combination of high search volume and lower keyword difficulty. And target these keywords with the right type of content to satisfy the searcher’s intent.
To learn more about conducting keyword research to find the best and most effective keywords for your website, read keyword research guide.
Once you have identified the target keywords that align with your business goals, it’s crucial to create content that addresses the search intent and provides value to the reader.
By focusing on creating high-quality content that satisfies the user’s needs, you can establish authority in your niche, earn backlinks, and build trust with your audience.
Lastly, it leads to more conversions. As you bring more organic traffic to your site, you can direct this new traffic to your money pages to convert visitors into sales.
How to Check Organic Traffic
If you are a website owner, you can view organic traffic statistics about your website for free with:
With these tools, you can only check the organic traffic for a verified property- a website you own.
If you want to check the organic traffic to any website, you can use Semrush’s Organic Research tool.